Sunday, November 7, 2010

Deliberate

Has a word ever just stuck in your head.  Today the word "deliberate" is resinating with me.

Yesterday, I took my kids to the park.  While I was there a noticed 3 boys were holding one boy while another one punched him.  I totally lost my cool.  I ran over and screamed at these boys like a crazy woman, telling them to leave the kid alone.  The fight broke up and then 15 minutes later I noticed these boys grabbing my son to do the same thing to him.  Again, I screamed at these same kids....I left the park feeling horrible.  Something in my heart told me the way I handled this was not RIGHT.

This morning when I was praying, I felt like God spoke the word Deliberate.  And then I realized that I had missed an opportunity to teach these boys about how God calls us to love one another.  Instead of screaming at them, I should have walked over and told them why this behavior was wrong and how God wants us to treat each other.

I kept on thinking about the word "DELIBERATE".  How often I just speak without thinking.  I react to situations with little thought.

I know a few people who are very deliberate in what they say.  The first person who comes to my mind is my husband, Evan.  I can tell when he speaks, that he is deliberate in his answers.  My sister's husband Dave is also very deliberate when he speaks too.

My prayer is that I stop and really think before I speak.

A fool often speaks and later reflects on what he has said.  In contrast, a wise man considers his words before he speaks Colossians 4:6

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I totally needed to hear this... Thanks Melinda!

    ReplyDelete