Monday, March 7, 2011

My favorite homemade spaghetti sauce recipe

I've tried several different variations of spaghetti recipes and here is the combination I love best.  It's texture is fabulously smooth and the herbs are just right.

1 small chopped onion
6 garlic cloves minced
1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans of tomato paste
2(15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1-2 cup of water ( more water if you want to cook it for a long time)
3 tsp of basil
2 tsp of dried parsley
1 tsp of brown sugar
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 black pepper

1 cup of merlot or cabernet (not necessary just fun)

Directions
Add a little olive oil to a pot and cook onion until it's  soft.  Add everything but the wine.  Cook until almost boiling, now add the wine.  Then simmer on low for at least and hour.
I often double this recipe and freeze it so I can use it with chicken or eggplant parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment